Skip to main content

Made to Measure fashion gallery

Here are some of my happy clients. I love making made to measure clothing. I think it's a shame that sewing is no longer taught in schools. I was lucky enough to learn to sew from my mum at such a young age that I can't remember having to learn.

Our clients come to us in a variety of ways. Some people arrive with a picture of what they would like in a magazine, a photo from pinterest, 3 pictures they would like to put together, a sketch in a notebook, a description of what they like that I will draw or they will choose one of my designs but maybe bring their own fabric or they will choose one of ours.

So I hope that you can see that what ever it is that you would like to have made, we can do. just drop me message, but in the meantime enjoy what others have had made.

A lovely client from Australia was working in Ghana and used to walk past our Kokolemle shop in Accra. when her parents came to visit her father had a pair of cotton print Kente cloth shorts. this is the photo he sent me from Adelaide Australia where they live.






The lovely Akua, my name sake wearing an outfit we made. It's a fitted bustier top tucked into extra wide leg trousers. Akua came with a picture on pinterest for the shape, but she wanted the top to be like a dress we made for her daughter earlier in the year. By the end of the process we ended up with something completely different to the original picture of a dress that she brought.

This African print is lovely. the muted colours harp back to the 1930's to 60s when African prints wear not as bright as we see them now. \this butterfly print has been used for decades. It's lovely to see it modernised like this.




Shiki in a 1950's inspired full skirted midi dress. This is a dress that really suits most shapes. It works well to give the appearance of an hour glass figure by showing off the waist. Shiki came to us with a piece of her grandmother's Vilisco print cotton. This print is an old print that appears in differnt sizes and the rough translation from Twi Asante to English is 'the yam plant'


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why the wrap skirt is everything!

Available on etsy with a Free Makeup Bag   Click & get a further 10% off with this CODE  2020 gave us the space and time to contemplate the larger meaning of existence and so naturally reevaluate our own lives. Many people I've spoken to ended up making life altering decisions. 3 families I know have left the UK for greener climes and another 4 are leaving the big cities for greener spaces where the pace of life is slower and their vistas wider. Normally I am a special occasions seamstress, but not anymore. As the months indoors wore on and everyone started gardening, home schooling and working via zoom I was asked for not just informal wear, but comfortable to absorb and disguise the new spreading waist line while  reflecting the clients own tastes and long buried under work clothes desires. No one cares about what was in the magazines anymore or the season's colours. What I was being asked for was classic lines, flattering lengths and disguised roominess. The 50's a...

Fulani Jewelry wholesale & retail

I started selling Fulani jewelry in the early 1990s. I bought my first stock from Ghanaian and Malian glass bead traders I would meet at the Ghana Trade Fair center. I was fascinated by the intricate work and the bright shine of the brass. I had sold brass and silver jewelry from India and Thailand since the late 80s but had never come across any other people who worked brass that thin or that shiny. My customers were equally as fascinated. It would be more than 10 years I would go to Mali and meet Malian Fulani brass jewelry makers for myself.  The origins of the distinctive earring designs is shrouded in a bit of mystery and many stories. The one that rings true to me is that 1000s of years ago the Fulani peoples left the areas of modern day Senegal and became nomadic. They followed their cattle and traded from the Western coast of Africa all the way up towrds he North, some even going as far up as Egypt. Along the way they would trade with the other peoples they incounte...

Are West African craft workers open for international business ?

The West African arts and crafts industry is going through a huge creative resurgence, but all the while we are loosing business to Indonesian, Bangladesh,Vietnamese  and Balinese craft workshops. The Asian workshops have a very organised factory style set up and the owners have access to cheap capital that African craft makers cannot compete with. When it comes to finance the African craft worker is at a huge disadvantage. In Ghana and Nigeria it's easier to get long term and decent interest rates on a loan to build a church, an institution that taxes its members, but pays no tax to the country.           Try to get a long term low interest loan to start a manufacturing business and you will find no banks to finance your deal. This is how the world is set up so its nearly impossible for Africans to go into manufacturing in a way where we can compete with Asia, but we must find ways round this situation. ...